Monday, January 7, 2008

Shades of Bodyline?

Dileep Premachandran of The Doosra, the South Asian cricket blog for the Times Online has written a piece about all the controversy with the latest Test. Now I don't think it is as bad as Bodyline, but I can't think of a Test with as much action away from the playing field. He does raise an interesting point,

Anil Kumble's remark at the end of his press conference on Sunday night - "There was only one team playing in the spirit of the game" - immediately invited comparisons with the events of 75 years ago. "Not since Bill Woodfull in the 1932-33 Bodyline series has a rival captain spoken so strongly against his opponents," said the
Daily Telegraph in Sydney.

A very similar comment was made by Woodfull during the famous series. It is not the first time Andrew Symonds or Harbhajan Singh are involved in similar controversy, and sadly, it will not be the last. From shoddy umpiring to accusations of racism, what could have been a series remembered for stellar play, will now be remembered for controversy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geez man... you talk about this, yet not link me! ;)

Nice stuff here tho'...

Daniel @ Campinas said...

I know, I'm sorry. I just set up the blog, and had a list of the newer blogs I found that wanted to link. Yours was on it, and I just hadn't gotten around to doing it. I will put it up now. Thanks fo rthe visit, and I enjoy your stuff as well. Sure wish there was more cricket talk on Yardbarker!!